Redplum

Friday, December 18, 2009

Give Christmas away

I am sitting here struggling with how to start this post and I don't know why. So I guess I will just start the post by telling you that I am having a hard time finding words!! :)

I am blessed beyond measure. I am a single mother who is in a very low income bracket and I am still able to provide my children with a Christmas. I am even adopting a family in conjunction with a friend of mine to provide them with a Christmas.

I feel it is extremely important to teach my children the importance of having a giving spirit and the importance of helping those less fortunate. We donate (as a family) to good will and our local food pantries and we talk about why we are doing it. My children are 9 months and 2 years old. I figure if I start now that they will grow up with a giving spirit and not have to struggle to want to share with others when they are older.

As most of you know - I have a HUGE soft spot for the homeless and less fortunate (poor - like me!!)
I follow the blog of a man named Kevin Barbieux.....in his words:

"I became homeless for the first time in February of 1982. I have been in and out of homelessness ever since, experiencing about 13 years worth of literal homelessness. According to HUD's definition, I am Chronically Homeless. Currently, I am living in housing provided by Nashville's Homelessness Commission through their Housing First program. I have been off the streets, this time, for a year and a half. You can email me at thehomelessguy (At) gmail dot com."

He has an incredible idea to really help some of these folks have a much better Christmas and if you live in Nashville you have a much better shot at doing this before Christmas than a lot of folks... from his post:

"I have an idea I'd like to run past you. Do you have any dvds or cds that you no longer watch or listen too? Want to see them put to good use? Want to help make the homeless guy's Christmas a little better? Message me and I'll send you my address. What I don't use, I'll distribute to the other recently unhomeless people now living in my building."

Now that's what I call a great idea!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails