Redplum

Monday, August 10, 2009

Make a Difference Monday 8-10-9

Good Morning!

I hope that you had a blessed weekend. I certainly did. My pastor is speaking this month on getting a Fresh Start with God. His message was about Zaccheus this week. Do you remember your first exposure to the story of Zaccheus? I remember mine. For the first few minutes of the message I was singing the song of Zaccheus in my head. Sorry Brother Grubbs :)

Zaccheus was a wee, little man, And a wee, little man was he
He climbed up in a sycamore tree, For the Lord he wanted to see

If you haven't read it, this story can be found in Luke 19:1-10.
I am really enjoying this month's series on Fresh Starts because like all of our featured stories, I have had a fresh start. (perhaps one day I will get around to sharing my most recent new beginnings with you all)

If you are interested in a Fresh Start with the Lord then please come visit us either in person or virtually via live worship services on the church website. I have been attending this church off and on for 20 years. The Glade church is an AWESOME place to worship!

I know what it is to be hungry. I know what it is to be unable to feed myself and to have to rely on the kindness of my friends. I have been in a jam before where I was unable to pay my electric bill or buy groceries and needed help. I have lived without running water for more than a week. It's not a very fun experience. If you don't believe me, the next time it rains, run outside in a sports bra and some shorts with a bottle of shampoo and stand under the run off of some water and wash your hair and try to shower. Even in July that water is COLD!

My mom and some of my friends were able to help me out then. One of my friends bought me some groceries, another friend had me over for dinner a few nights a week, another friend had me over to shower.

As bad as things were then... I have SIGNIFICANTLY less income now than I had at that time but I am far better at managing my money now. I find that my life is a living example of the story of the loaves and the fishes in Mark 6:33-44. The more I give, the more I have.

At the top right of the page you may have noticed by now the MADM short list. I have listed out items you can get for very cheap at most of the stores I cover for your convenience. You may need to go see the store specific post in order to find the actual coupon matchup or how to make it free. Walgreens Items are basically free after instant rebate in the form of Register Rewards. If you have questions for me please leave me a comment and i'm happy to answer you or if you know me in person feel free to find me some other way and ask.

Last week I took two big boxes of items to the church. Part of it was items I purchased off of my MADM list of donation items (Cereal, Knorr Sides, Canned Fruit) I also added some laundry detergent, candy, feminine hygiene products, a pack of underjams, some formula I had been given that I couldn't use etc. The exra items that I added to my donation were predominately items I was cleaning out of my stockpile. I still have more than enough for my own purposes too. Never underestimate the need to clean out your stockpile. Make sure you are vigilant about your expiration dates so that you don't lose any food!

Have a great Monday - How did you make a difference last week?

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails